Indian Carrot Ginger Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp curcuma
- 1/8 tsp chili pepper
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 lb carrots, chopped in thick slices
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup yogurt (or 1/4 yogurt + 1/4 sour cream)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and stir often until soft, about 5 min. Meanwhile, peel carrots and slice them into 3/4-inch- (2 cm) thick rounds. Grate ginger in a separate little bowl, add all the spices. Add ginger with spices to onion mixture and stir again to warm the spices trough. Add carrots, vegetable broth and lemon zest. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Let simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender.
- Add yogurt and puree the soup with a hand blender, scraping down inside of bowl as needed. At this point, don't let the soup boil, let it simmer at low heat, add pepper and salt. I usually cut some coriander leaves with scissors and add to the soup, not too much, you don't want to overpower beautiful spices. The soup is ready to serve, you can swirl a little sour cream on top and add a coriander leaf, if you like.
You got to admit that a colorful bowl of silky-smooth velvety carrot soup sets the mood for a nice autumn or winter dinner. Enjoy!