Monday, February 22, 2010

Playing in the Dirt

Normally I wouldn't even dare to think about gardening at this time of year. Upon arriving to Canada, it took my inner clock several years to learn that there is nothing green before the beginning of May and even then you have to wait till almost the end of the month to begin to work outdoors because there is still a danger of frost. But this winter, so mild and with so little snow... I started dreaming of playing in the dirt, sinking my hands in the soil, moist and velvety to touch, and spending hours incredibly happy, forgetting time, worries, everything...
I discovered gardening only several years ago when we bought our first house in Quebec and I wanted to plant some greenery because there wasn't any. Creating my flower beds and planting my first annuals and perennials made me discover a whole new world, it was a very therapeutic experience for me, I was truly happy for the very first time in Canada. I could spend hours working in my garden, preparing the soil, sowing, planting, weeding, I don't feel fatigue nor pain. I can't wait to start playing in the dirt again this spring, I might even try to grow some vegetables this year. Till then here are some pictures from my Canadian garden:

What about you? Do you have a garden or even a balcony? Do you like playing in the dirt?
Share/Save/Bookmark

5 comments:

Räuberling said...

oh yes i loooove it! we have a garden and a balcony and i can`t wait when the gardening-season starts!

the photos are beautiful :-)

Sonja @ Craft-Werk said...

I admire anyone who likes gardening - my interests in gardens are limited to viewing nice flowers and having a seating area for BBQs *hehe*... We do have a garden, but since I haven't got a green thumb, it is not me who keeps it in shape. Nonetheless, I am looking forward to milder temperatures and spending time outside more...

Yasmine said...

@weltbunt: it's like falling in love all over again, isn't it?
@Sonja: you don't need a green thumb in order to enjoy gardening ;-), but BBQuing with a nice view on the flowers is not bad either...

Anonymous said...

Nice flowers!

I also somewhat got into gardening, but I mostly plant veggies and herbs.

Unknown said...

We don't have a garden and I cannot wait until the day we buy a house or have one! These photos are so beautiful!!! I used to love seeing the gardens in Switzerland, always so beautiful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...